Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saguaro National Park (AZ)

Well, I learned something new today.  Saguaro means big, giant cactus.  This is a National Park filled with cactus - lots of different cactus.  There are great hikes to take here (but watch for snakes and other poisonous reptiles), and lots of picnic areas.  It was really a unique place.













 
At the visitor center, they told me to take a short, easy hike out to some rocks where there were lots of petroglyphs (ancient rock art).  I was excited to hear that, as I love petroglyphs.  Well, the hike was neither short nor easy.  It was all uphill.  I don't know what I was thinking climbing up rocks in the desert heat!  But, the petroglyphs were pretty spectacular and well worth it.
 
 





 
This little guy blends in with the desert.

 
Oh, sure, I'm smiling - but, I'm really about to pass out!


 
LOTS of petroglyphs!








 
Note the squirrel - he kept jumping into my pictures!