Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Morro Bay (CA)

Morro Bay is a town whose claim to fame is a big, giant rock in the water.  You can see the big, giant rock from pretty-much any spot in the town.  I looked at it from every angle I possibly could, and it was still just a big, giant rock.

That being said, this a charming, small town of friendly people (who all love the big, giant rock).  I spent more time there than I had planned because I liked the town so much.

This is the big rock - Morro Rock.  It is 576 feet and has been an important mariner's navigational landfall for over 300 years.  It was first sighted in 1542 by Juan Rodrigues Cabrillo who named it "El Morro".  In Spanish, "Morro" means crown-shaped hill.


You see it from everywhere!


I took a bunch of different pics, but it doesn't change much.


There was some fog so I didn't get a good, clear picture.


A close-up of the rock.


A gull pondering life in front of the rock.


These were some colorful kayaks you could rent.   Guess who is NOT going to get in one of those kayaks?  (Not that I would fit anyway!)


These two crazies are going to take the kayaks out.



There they go.


The were headed for the rock, but were drifting completely the wrong way.


I doubt they will ever be seen or heard from again!


A cute coffee shop where I stopped in for a cup of hot chocolate (it was cold out!).


The big, giant rock as seen from where I was sipping my hot chocolate.


The town is really cute. 


A nice park.



Lots of seafood restaurants . . .


. . . with great views of the rock.


People come from all over to stare at the rock.




Lots of fun shops.




Guess who's not getting on that boat either?


This is a little honeymoon boat.  Yes, that's right.  After you get married, you can go for a ride in this little boat (I think it is supposed to resemble a Gondola).  If I married a guy who took me for a ride on this, he'd be handed divorce papers before nightfall!


Seems like they could have placed the power plant farther away from the town center!



This was a bunch of sea lions/seals in the middle of the bay.  They were making a lot of noise.



A sea lion hiding under a dock, and a sleeping seal.


The kayaker is NUTS to be that close to the seals.


This is a boat you can pay to get on to go out and harass the seals - or at the very least annoy them by being so close to them.  (Guess who's NOT on that boat?).



Why would a kayaker get so close to some seals and seal lions? If they fell out of the kayak, I think the seals would attack them. But, the freezing water would probably kill them first.


This is a very dog, cat, seal, and bird-friendly town.  That's what I loved about it! 






A pretty sleeping cat on the some rocks.  I'd imagine she waits for fishermen to throw out their bait for her.